Should I worry that I've been given two flu shots?

Dr. Alan M. Young, MD

There really isn’t a danger to getting two flu shots, unless you have an allergy to the flu shot. In fact, children younger than nine who are getting vaccinated the first time would receive two dosages the first year, one month apart. Typically people get the flu shot once a year, so there wouldn't be a reason that you should get two flu shots.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

Do not worry if you get two flu shots in one flu season. In fact, kids under 9 years old getting the flu shot for the first time get two flu shots that first flu season. For an adult, two flu shots are not necessary, but also not dangerous. Next flu season still get your regular flu shot.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Surviving the Flu: Symptoms, Treatment and Danger Signs
Here’s one thing you can count on: The flu season is unpredictable. Some years it might be mild, and others it could be brutal. Why is one flu season...
Who can use the nasal spray flu vaccine?
Dr. Mark J. Sanders, MDDr. Mark J. Sanders, MD
Nasal spray flu vaccine (FluMist) contains live, but impaired, flu virus. It is approved for childre...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Myth or Fact: Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever