What are the side effects of anti-flu medications?

Side effects of flu medications may differ with each individual. The most common side effects of flu medications include headache, nausea and vomiting. The most common medication used to treat influenza infections is called oseltamivir (Tamiflu). It is active against influenza A and B. The medication is considered an antiviral drug that inhibits influenza virus neuraminidase enzyme, thereby decreasing the duration of the infection by one-half to three days. It is important to discuss treatment with a doctor before taking any antiviral medication to consider the appropriate use.

While side effects of anti-influenza medications are low, they are not zero. They may include primarily gastrointestinal upset—particularly nausea—and also may include dry mouth and mild blurry vision or dizziness or insomnia. People with respiratory diseases such as asthma may experience difficulty breathing after inhaling zanamivir. Amantadine has been associated with an increase in seizures among patients with a history of seizure disorders.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

9 Flu Vaccine Myths That Can Make You Sick
It’s baaaack. And by “it,” I mean flu season. There are many myths and misconceptions about the flu vaccine. Read on for comments I’ve heard from my o...
Who is at high risk for flu complications?
If you are elderly or have certain chronic (long-term) medical disorders, you are at a higher risk o...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Sick? Don't Go Into the Office!
Sick? Don't Go Into the Office!