How long does the flu vaccine last?

The flu vaccine works by stimulating the body to produce antibodies to fight viruses with molecular components that resemble those of the vaccine. The effectiveness of the vaccine depends on at least three factors: 1) how closely the vaccine's components match those of the virus causing a given season's outbreak; 2) how effectively the body was stimulated to produce antibodies; and 3) how long these antibodies last. Some seasons are better than others in terms of matching the vaccine to the viruses that end up actually causing outbreaks. The better the match, the better the protection. However, since flu viruses mutate rapidly, the degree of matching drops off dramatically each season. Also, different groups of people tend to have different levels of antibody production in response to the vaccine. Individuals with a greater response to the vaccine will thus have better and longer lasting protection. Furthermore, as antibody levels fade (by approximately 50% in the first six months, with some leveling off over the next couple of years) so does protection. These are the reasons the CDC recommends annual flu shots for adequate protection each flu season.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

What You Should Know About Urgent Care—and When to Use It
It's Saturday afternoon and your son has come down with a fever. Or maybe your husband sprained his ankle on a jog. Your doctor's office is closed unt...
4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now4 Cold Remedies to Try Right Now
Try easing your coughing, sneezing, and sore throat with these smart at-home solutions. The common cold is a viral infection that can be spread by di...
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
Who Is at High Risk for Flu Complications?