Does the flu affect children differently than adults?

Influenza (flu) affects children differently than adults. In children, the fever associated with influenza is likely to be higher, on average, than an adult's fever. In addition, children more often experience symptoms related to the digestive system, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

The flu does affect children differently than adults. In general the most at-risk populations for serious and possible lethal consequences from influenza are the very young and the very old. Although the virus behaves the same way and the symptoms are similar (fatigue, body aches, cough, etc.) the virus can completely overwelm a very young child's ability to effectively fight it and thus could be much more serious than it would be in a healthy adult.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Elderberry: The Natural Flu Remedy
Elderberry: The Natural Flu Remedy
Pliny the Elder was a first-century Roman author and naturalist. One of his most famous sayings is, “Truth comes out in wine.” Did he know about elder...
What are the side effects of anti-flu medications?
While side effects of anti-influenza medications are low, they are not zero. They may include primar...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?