What precautions should I take after receiving chemotherapy?

If you go home less than 48 hours after you received your chemotherapy, please:
  • Wash your hands with soap and water after going to the bathroom.
  • Close the lid and flush the toilet after each use.
  • Use gloves to clean up any linen soiled with body fluids, and wash these items separately from the other laundry.
  • Use gloves and disposable towels to wipe up any urine, vomit, or stool. Wash and rinse the soiled area well. Place the soiled materials in a plastic bag, seal it tightly, and discard in the garbage.
If you have any questions about the guidelines, please talk with your oncologist or oncology nurse.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
How does chemotherapy work?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Chemotherapy works best on cells that divide quickly, like cancer cells. Chemotherapy travels around...
How should I handle the laundry of someone receiving chemotherapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When handling the laundry of someone with cancer receiving chemotherapy, wear gloves and carry soile...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?