What are the different types of guardianship?

A guardian is someone appointed by the court to make legal financial and personal decisions for an incapable person. The three types of guardianship are:
  • full guardianship: comprehensive decision-making authority and responsibility over personal and/or legal and financial affairs
  • limited guardianship: decision-making authority and responsibility over selected needs such as healthcare or property
  • joint guardianship: more than one individual sharing guardianship authority and responsibility

Continue Learning about Caregiving

Caregiver Corner: Stage III Lung Cancer and Caregiver Burnout
Being a caregiver for a friend, family member or loved one who has been diagnosed with stage III lung cancer can be rewarding. It can also be confusin...
What is home healthcare?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Home health care services include nursing care and physical, respiratory, occupational or speech the...
Getting the Caregiver Support You Need
Getting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You NeedGetting the Caregiver Support You Need
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?
How Can Caregiving Affect My Health?