How many days per week should I do cardio and for how long each session?

Cardiovascular training is different for everyone, so there is no set time or days per week that would be best for everyone. The goal for some would be to get the minimum of 30 minutes of cardio training, three times a week. For beginners that will be enough to get started. To see continued fitness improvements, 30 minutes per day is preferred. The key is the intensity. Some days should consist of a low intensity exercise, such as walking, to promote recovery and to build the aerobic system. Other days would be at a higher level, closer to 80% of your maximum heart rate to build more cardiovascular endurance. The third day in the rotation would involve some intervals at close to 90% of your maximum heart rate. This type of rotation would allow you to build a strong cardiovascular system without over training or hitting a fitness plateau. Important factors to keep in mind when developing your cardiovascular program is not just days and time but intensity, and what works into your schedule.  Also choose exercise that you enjoy!

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Training

Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
Does Slow Exercise Burn More Fat?
You'll find it on virtually every cardio machine at the gym: instructions on how to hit your fat-burning zone. Essentially, it means you get to work o...
Is there a good diet to increase cardiovascular endurance performance?
A high carbohydrate, balanced, nutrient dense diet enhances endurance performance by: Providing ...
What cardio exercise can I do at home?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
I am a big believer in working out in the comfort of your own home. That is why all of my options be...
Simple Cardio Exercise You Can Do Anywhere