How do I prepare for cardiac catheterization if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, prepare for your cardiac catheterization (an x-ray that uses dye to see how the blood flows through the heart veins) by following these steps:
  • Take your usual dose of insulin the night before, including Lantus insulin.
  • If you take morning insulin, take only half of your usual dose.
  • Have the nursing staff check your blood sugar when you come to the hospital.
  • If you take diabetes medication by mouth, do not take your diabetes medication the night before or the morning of your procedure.

Continue Learning about Cardiovascular Diagnostic Techniques & Procedures

What tests assess the heart?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An echocardiogram is a noninvasive (the skin is not pierced) procedure used to assess the heart'...
What is an EP or electrophysiology study?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In an electrophysiology study, one or more catheters are inserted into a major blood vessel and ...
What medications will I be given after a cardiac catheterization?
You will be started on a new medication called Plavix or Clopigrel following your cardiac cathet...
Why would I need an at-home cardiovascular test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Have you ever made an appointment with your physician only to find that once you are in the offi...