How many carbohydrates should I have in my diet?

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that you follow a meal plan that gives you 45% to 65% of the calories as carbohydrates. MyPyramid.gov or the DASH eating plan can give you the calories you need and the right amounts of carbohydrate. It is also important that you select the right kinds of carbohydrates; they are not all equal as sources of nutrition. Carbohydrates are found in vegetables and fruits, as well as breads, cereals (think whole grain), and sugars. Remember that carbohydrates are good for you in moderation and should be eaten along with other essential foods on the food pyramid.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Chill Out
Chill Out
Healthy" and "potato salad" can go hand in hand. Unfortunately, everyone's favorite summer side dish can send blood-sugar levels soaring, thanks to al...
What is a carbohydrate?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Foods are made up of 3 macronutrients carbohydrate, protein or fat. Carbohydrates are sugar which ar...
What is a carb expander?
Lisa LillienLisa Lillien
When it comes to carbs, you can have too much of a good thing. In this video, Hungry Girl author L...
How Can I Reduce My Carb Cravings?
How Can I Reduce My Carb Cravings?