Why does my shoulder blade stick out farther than normal?

A shoulder blade that sticks out is called a “winging” scapula. It usually means that there is weakness of the serratus anterior muscle. If the winging occurs in only one of the scapula, there could be an injury to the long thoracic nerve, which innervates the serratus anterior.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Questions When Considering Medication for TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that grow in the synovium bursae, tendon sheath, and other tissues that make up...
What causes the knuckle popping sound?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
You know that familiar sound that comes from lacing your fingers together, turning your palms away f...
How can I tell if I have a hip problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The symptoms of a forward-gliding femur can be felt in the front, back, and side of the hip. In the ...
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints