What can cause me to be unable to pinch my thumb and index finger together?

The inability to pinch the thumb and index finger together indicates entrapment of the anterior interosseous nerve in the elbow. This nerve entrapment often occurs between the two heads of the pronator muscle due to muscle growth or inflammation in the muscle. You should see a physician if this condition arises.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Questions When Considering Medication for TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that grow in the synovium bursae, tendon sheath, and other tissues that make up...
How can I tell if I have abducted or adducted shoulder blades (scapula)?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Monitor your shoulders during the day, and learn to detect when they are becoming too rounded or...
Why do my knees pop?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
The entire knee joint is located within a bag-like joint capsule with the consistency of thick p...
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?