How does blood help fight infection?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Blood participates in innate immunity. Proteins known as complement proteins circulate in the blood, coating invading bugs and punching holes in them, which speedily destroys them. Small fragments of complement proteins also adhere to the pathogen surface, flagging them for destruction by phagocytes.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood?
What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood? Learn more from our experts about D antigen (Rh fact...
What does blood consist of?
What does blood consist of? Blood is made up of red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, and plat...
Can I donate blood if I have a cold or the flu?
Can I donate blood if I have a cold or the flu? You should not donate blood if you are sick. Learn m...
Can I donate blood if I have asthma?
Can I donate blood if I have asthma? If you have asthma, you may donate blood as long as you are not...