How can I relieve pain after a bone marrow biopsy?

You may have some tenderness around the site of your bone marrow biopsy (a procedure that uses a special needle to get a sample of bone and bone marrow for testing) for 12 to 48 hours. To help with the pain:
  • Apply ice to the site as needed for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for comfort.
  • You may take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain.
  • Do not take any medication that contains aspirin or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) for 48 hours.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What happens after a bone marrow biopsy?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
After a bone marrow biopsy (a procedure that uses a special needle to get a sample of bone and bone ...
What is a kidney biopsy?
A kidney biopsy, also called a "renal biopsy," is a diagnostic test that involves removing small sam...
How can endometrial biopsies predict the chances of successful pregnancy?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
After ovulation the lining to the womb or endometrium, prepares for implantation of the fertilized e...
Should I have muscle biopsy test?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Patients have unexplained muscle weakness, or myopathy,  from a variety of diseases.  Some are treat...