Another type of bone biopsy is called an open biopsy. If you undergo this type of biopsy, you will be given general anesthesia so you are asleep during the procedure. Your doctor will make a full incision into the skin to remove a piece of bone surgically, and when the procedure is completed, the incision will be stitched closed.
Your doctor might recommend a bone biopsy to:
- identify the cause of bone pain or tenderness
- determine if bone lesions are malignant (cancerous)
- investigate an abnormality seen on an x-ray
- determine the cause of an infection
- diagnose a bone abnormality