What is an unexpected benefit of working out?

Engaging in exercise can help create new social opportunities. Health and fitness activities are a great way to spend more constructive time with those who are closest to you. Join your spouse after work for a brisk walk and catch up on the latest news, or join a close friend at the gym and motivate each other through a challenging resistance training session. Exercising can also provide the right setting where individuals can meet new friends who share similar goals. This camaraderie is a great way to maintain motivation and increase enjoyment from your exercise.

An unexpected benefit of working out is how your quality of life improves outside of the gym. I always tell my clients that working out is not necessarily about the hour we spend in exercise, but what that hour allows us to do in our daily lives. Working out helps us play chase with our kids or grand kids, walk the mall without getting winded, take the dogs out for a jog, and just feel good no matter what we are doing.

Exercise is not only good to alleviate and diminish health concerns such as high blood pressure or diabetes but it allows you to perform daily activities more easily.  Exercise helps keep you healthy and strong in body, mind and spirit. Exercise also helps diminish and alleviate existing physical and psychological conditions. Exercise allows people to sleep better. Its effective for depression, anxiety and helps alter moods to positive levels. Physical activity provide biochemical changes in the brain increasing the concentration of positive neurochemicals such as endorphins and serotonin. Exercise is also positively associated with changes in brain wave activity allowing for a more calm mental state. 

After years of working in fitness industry, I believe nothing can beat the stress relief  of a good workout at the end of a stressful day. Vigorous physical activities stimulate certain brain chemicals that can enhance your mood and make you feel more relaxed. When you workout regularly you will look better which will boost your self confidence along with giving you a sense of achievement.

Many studies have shown that exercise can prevent and even reverse depression.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

What’s Sweet About Sweat
What’s Sweet About Sweat
In a 1984 Gillette commercial, football coach Dan Reeves was asked about the three “nevers” it takes to be a winning coach. He answered: “Never let th...
What methods are used to study the benefits of physical activity?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Collecting valuable information about the health benefits and hazards of physical activity requi...
How can exercise benefit my brain as I age?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Exercise can benefit your brain as you age by improving blood flow and other health markers. Maintai...
Boost Your Brain Function and Memory With Exercise