How can walking help me manage my stress levels?

Walking is a simple way to manage your stress levels. Evidence suggests that chronic stress contributes to heart disease, so if you are often stressed it may be time to put on your walking shoes.
Walking has direct and indirect effects on your stress levels. Physical activity directly supports stress reduction by encouraging the release of hormones called endorphins that are linked to happiness. Indirectly, going for a walk can give you a sense of escaping to a quiet environment - or at least an environment where no demands are being placed on you. You’ll likely find that your stress levels begin to diminish as you walk.

Any form of exercise will help manage your stress levels. You may hear this often but exercise helps release endorphins. When this occurs your body will naturally feel better. Exercise will help manage the following things which may lead to managing stress:

• Increased energy
  • Increase self-esteem
  • Improve moral

These are only some of many but walking will help you break away from it all to take a few deep breaths and then return to whatever you are currently completing.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Walking

From Mauka to Makai: 3 Secrets of Walking to Lose Weight
While the right eating plan is crucial to weight loss, consistent exercise may help you drop pounds and keep you in shape. And if you're not quite rea...
How can joining a walking event help keep me active?
By joining a walking event you will increase activity not only by walking at the event but also by p...
Will walking help me to live longer?
Pamela F. Carthew , NASM Elite TrainerPamela F. Carthew , NASM Elite Trainer
Walking is certainly one of the best things you can do for your overall health. But before starting ...
Do I burn more calories by running or walking?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
It is actually true that you can burn as many calories and lose as much weight by walking as by runn...