How can walking help me manage my stress levels?

Walking is a simple way to manage your stress levels. Evidence suggests that chronic stress contributes to heart disease, so if you are often stressed it may be time to put on your walking shoes.
Walking has direct and indirect effects on your stress levels. Physical activity directly supports stress reduction by encouraging the release of hormones called endorphins that are linked to happiness. Indirectly, going for a walk can give you a sense of escaping to a quiet environment - or at least an environment where no demands are being placed on you. You’ll likely find that your stress levels begin to diminish as you walk.

Any form of exercise will help manage your stress levels. You may hear this often but exercise helps release endorphins. When this occurs your body will naturally feel better. Exercise will help manage the following things which may lead to managing stress:

• Increased energy
  • Increase self-esteem
  • Improve moral

These are only some of many but walking will help you break away from it all to take a few deep breaths and then return to whatever you are currently completing.

Walking can help you manage your stress levels physically mentally and emotionally. It can be a time for healing — a healthy outlet for negative emotions. By producing positive chemical changes in your body walking can improve your mood. I personally find my walks meditative, a time to let my mind go. While walking and daydreaming, or listening to my ipod my unencumbered my mind sometimes strays. I have come up with solutions to pressing problems, and make decisions on things I’ve put off. My walks have also help produced some of my best business ideas.
Physically walking improves your cardiovascular cardiorespitory function. This rhythmic exercise works your legs the biggest muscles in your body. As these big muscles contract blood is pumped to your heart strengthening it and increasing your bodies oxygen delivery system, this in turn decreases the chances for disease.
If nothing else I always feel better after a walk, and you will too. Walking releases endorphins — the mood elevation chemicals in your brain. I may have left the house stressed and grumpy, but I always return more relaxed and in a better mood.
Considering the alternatives; drugs, alcohol, and chocolate, they are all bad habits that compromise your health, and waistline and consequently leads to more stress. Walking is a great way to manage stress, and best of all it’s simple, fun, healthy, and free  . . . so lace up!

First of all, it’s fantastic that you are looking for ways to manage your stress levels. You clearly understand how detrimental it is to let your stress go unhandled. Walking can provide an outlet for stress if you let it be a time when your mind goes blank and you focus solely on the task at hand. Your walk can also be a great time to listen to music that you love. If the weather is nice and you can walk outside that’s even better! Fresh air has a way of clearing your mind. Make sure you take nice deep breaths and keep your neck and shoulders relaxed during your walk. In addition, walking will release endorphins, a type of chemical in the brain, which improves your mood and creates an overall feeling of well-being!

Walking will improve your mood and mental outlook and can relieve muscle tension and stress related emotions, like anxiety, anger, depression, aggression and tension Walking can be a social activity with the company of friends and family or alone where you can enjoy the peace and quiet.  Walking 2 miles a day at a brisk pace will definitely will go a long way to improving your stress and overall health on so many other levels.  Exercise strengthens your muscles and bones and will help with weight control too. 

Continue Learning about Benefits of Walking

From Mauka to Makai: 3 Secrets of Walking to Lose Weight
While the right eating plan is crucial to weight loss, consistent exercise may help you drop pounds and keep you in shape. And if you're not quite rea...
How can walking benefit my mind?
Walking and physical activity has many psychological benefits including:Improved ability to relax an...
Can walking keep me from gaining weight?
If you get up and move, you can actually turn off the genes that promote weight gain. Walking (t...
Best Workouts to Fight Fibromyalgia Pain and Fatigue