Why do women feel defined by their looks?

For women, life can often seem like a beauty pageant. Throughout every phase of our lives, from childhood to maturity, our appearance is judged and critiqued. Our looks are compared to those of our peers, our sisters, the women in the media, or imaginary ideals. We?re rated pretty, ugly, plain?or just plain average. No one has ever asked us if we want to compete in this lifelong beauty contest. Being born female automatically makes us contestants, whether we like it or not. From the moment we are a pretty little girl in a cute dress, and our brother is a big, strong boy who is smart, we learn what society expects from us. We internalize the message that as women, we are defined by our looks, not by our actions, character, or brainpower.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Beauty & Culture

Why is it important to avoid judging people based on their weight?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
The next time that you find yourself judging someone who struggles with their weight, consider the f...
Why does a large woman have to spend more to dress well?
Tonya BoldenTonya Bolden
I wear panty hose only when I want to. I buy fewer pairs, and when I do, I’m not paying that higher ...
How do supermodels keep their skin young and healthy?
Cod liver oil is one thing that helped a supermodel to keep her skin young and healthy.Watch as supe...
What key clothing mistakes will make me look heavier?
Clothing can make or break even healthy, fit folks. Here are five beauty busters worth avoiding: (1)...