Why do women feel defined by their looks?

For women, life can often seem like a beauty pageant. Throughout every phase of our lives, from childhood to maturity, our appearance is judged and critiqued. Our looks are compared to those of our peers, our sisters, the women in the media, or imaginary ideals. We?re rated pretty, ugly, plain?or just plain average. No one has ever asked us if we want to compete in this lifelong beauty contest. Being born female automatically makes us contestants, whether we like it or not. From the moment we are a pretty little girl in a cute dress, and our brother is a big, strong boy who is smart, we learn what society expects from us. We internalize the message that as women, we are defined by our looks, not by our actions, character, or brainpower.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Beauty & Culture

How can I find the best jeans for my body?
About 90 percent of us are wearing the wrong jeans for our body type. Wrong jeans and bad fit equals...
What are some advantages of being physically attractive?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
How you look alters others’ perceptions of you. Like it or not, more attractive people have a lo...
What is the best bra to wear?
Eighty-five percent of women wear the wrong bra size. In this video, Dr. Oz shows viewers a simp...
How can I expand my preteen daughter's definition of beauty?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
You can expand your preteen daughter’s definition of beauty by discussing with her while instilling ...