What speed drills should I do during basketball in-season training program?

Mike Elliott
Fitness
A great way to incorporate speed and agility drills in-season is during your pre-performance warmup.  A dynamic stretch which challenges you to move at differing speeds and directions is a must.  Once you have properly primed yourself during this dynamic warmup, you can add more basketball speed and agility-specific drills such as the speed ladder or hurdles.  To be even more basketball specific, try and add a ball to these exercises and dribble throughout.  It will take some time, but it will greatly improve your ability to be quick and agile with the ball in your hands.
The answer to this question depends on the other type of drills completed during practice.  If your coach has you doing a large amount of running from one end of the court to the other, it may not be necessary to double-up on speed drills in the gym.  If you are doing a fair amount of dribbling drills, some of the agility drills may be a little redundant.  The key is to find the drills that will complement your practice by filling in areas of your performance that are not  being addressed by your practices.  For example, a center who is working on foot-work drills in practice will benefit from speed drills more than more agility drills.  A point guard who is doing fast break drills, may benefit more from coordination drills like the LEFT drill, box drill, and ladder drills.

Continue Learning about Basketball

As a basketball player, how often do I need to do strength training?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
During the off-season you should perform strength training 3-4 days/week.  During the in-season you ...
How do I improve my ability to hold position in the basketball key?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
To improve your ability to maintain position in the paint, you must train your core and glutes for s...
What are the best upper body strength exercises for basketball players?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
There are many great upper body exercises for basketball players but I would recommend that you make...
How can I get faster?
Anis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite TrainerAnis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite Trainer
Speed is an integral part of every sport and can be expressed as any one of, or combination of, the ...