How do I get started on a strength training program for basketball?

The first thing to do is a thorough assessment which includes the overhead squat, single leg squat, goniometer assessment and manual muscle testing. Use the information from this assessment to correct any muscular imbalances. Once the imbalances are corrected, we will move into a stabilization program, followed by a strength training program. It is important not to jump right into a strength training program. Almost anyone can get bigger, faster and stronger right away, but until you establish boundaries and criteria for imbalances and correcting these imbalances you can set yourself up for injury.

Continue Learning about Basketball

What should do for my four-week basketball pre-season resistance training?
One of the biggest concerns for strength/conditioning specialists during the pre-season is the s...
As a basketball player, will weight training slow me down?
No. This is a common myth that is especially pervasive within the basketball community. Strength...
What are the best core strength exercises for basketball players?
There are a variety of exercises that can be done to improve core strength. The key is how these...
Can SAQ drills be incorporated into my basketball skill practice?
Yes, but you must pay special attention to the work-recovery ratio so that you are not overly fa...