What type of training will improve my basketball shooting ability?

Mike Elliott
Fitness
In addition to the answer provided by NASM, I would focus on core training and proper posture during the jump shot.  One of the most common shots is a jump shot off of the dribble.  If a player does not possess the proper core control, they are liable to fade left or right unintentionally during the shot.  The best shooters in the game have great core strength and can gather and elevate vertically without moving laterally.  Another thing to look at is chest position during the shot.  A proper jump shot originates from a good squat.  If the chest drops too low, the mechanics are thrown off and the shot is erratic because there are too many factors confounding the motion.  Take a look at the best shooters, and you will see a good squat with a high chest position throughout every single shot.
First, working on your lower-body strength, power, and endurance.  When players get tired late in games, they often lose some of the power they get from their lower body.  This changes their shot mechanics, and their shooting percentage decreases accordingly.  Second, stretch your lats (major back muscle) and pecs (chest).  Shot mechanics are directly affected by upper-body flexibility.  A doorway chest stretch may be all that stands between you and a more consistent shot.

Continue Learning about Basketball

How can I improve my coordination and balance for basketball?
Improving coordination and balance is a common problem for powerful athletes especially basketball p...
As a basketball player, how can I assess my speed?
The 3/4 court sprint is a great basketball specific speed test.  Simply time your quickest sprint ...
What should I do during the basketball off-season to increase my power?
During the off-season, rather than immediately focusing on power-specific training such as jumpi...
What basketball off-season training will improve my strength?
During the basketball off-season, begin training by developing proper amounts of stabilition str...