Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Are over-the-counter medications available for bad breath (halitosis)?

A Answers (3)

  • Bad breath can be caused by a number of sources, and your dentist can help identify the cause and determine the best treatment. There are some over-the-counter medications or products that could help.

    If you suffer from dry mouth, your dentist may prescribe anartificial saliva or suggest using sugarless candy.
    Select an ADA Seal of Approval toothbrush, floss or mouthrinse. Be sure to brush twice a day and clean between your teeth daily with floss. Brush your tongue, too. 

    It’s important to note that mouthwash will only mask the odor temporarily. Mouthwashes are generally cosmetic and do not have a long-lasting effect on bad breath. If you must constantly use a breath freshener to hide unpleasant mouth odor, see your dentist.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Many over-the-counter products are available to help in the fight against bad breath. There are a variety of toothpastes, gels and mouthwashes that can help promote good oral hygiene. Ask your dental provider for his recommendations of products that are best for you.
  • A answered
    Dental Hygiene
    There are many commercially available over-the-counter medications and products available for temporary relief from bad breath (halitosis). Improvements in dental care products, such as toothbrushes, dental floss, and tongue cleaners have made caring for bad breath easy and relatively inexpensive. Anti-bacterial toothpaste and mouthwash, can help control the condition, while gum, mints, and other products can provide temporary relief.
    Dental Hygiene
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Did You See?  Close
What is the quickest method to treat bad breath (halitosis)?