What if my breath doesn't smell bad but fruity?

Breath that smells fruity or sweet could be a symptom of a ketoacidosis, which is a diabetic issue where glucose or sugars cannot be used by the body due to a lack of insulin. This can be a potentially dangerous condition if it is not treated. Other symptoms of ketoacidosis include fatigue, frequent urination, headache, dry skin or mouth, muscle stiffness, nausea, and extreme thirst.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)
A fruity-smelling breath is common among people with diabetes. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to turn sugar into fuel, it will use fat instead. When the fat breaks down, byproducts called ketones build up in the body and produce the fruity smell.

Continue Learning about Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Get an upset stomach and here's what else you can get: bad breath. How can you keep that total turnoff from happening? Yogurt. Not only is it easy on ...
Is it normal to have bad breath right after brushing my teeth?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about brushing teeth.  
Why can't I tell when I have bad breath?
Despite your efforts to cup your hands and breathe into them, it is still very hard to smell you...
Another Reason Why You Shouldn't Go Hungry