Is erysipelas contagious?

Cellulitis is the general term for bacterial skin infections, or bacterial infections that affect tissues just below the skin's surface. Cellulitis can be caused by a number of different types of bacteria. Erysipelas is a specific form of cellulitis, most often caused by streptococcal bacteria. Erysipelas causes a distinctive raised rash. Like other forms of cellulitis, it is not considered contagious since the bacteria has to enter the body through broken skin, such as a cut, insect bite, or a scratch.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

How to Spot the Warning Signs of a Flesh-Eating Infection
Ah, summer. The time of year for beaches, barbecues and… flesh-eating disease? Possibly. Anecdotally, there do seem to be more news reports of necro...
How can I prevent Clostridium difficile infection (CDI)?
If you are given antibiotics for an infection, ask your doctor about the potential of developing Clo...
How do babies get Cronobacter infections?
In some outbreak investigations, Cronobacter bacteria were found in powdered infant formula that had...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?