What is a good stretch for a stiff back after sleeping?

A great stretch to start off with in the early morning is a stretch called the child pose.  This stretch can be completed by doing the following:

• Start on the ground on your hands and knees.  Have your hands extended forward forming 90 degree bends throughout your body.  From here, slowly lower your hips towards your heels.  As you do this, be sure you arms stay where they were placed.  You will eventually be as far onto your heels and possible with your arms extended forward.  This will not only help to stretch your entire back but will also stretch your ankles in the process.  If you want a deeper stretch then extend your arms just a little further.  Focus on your breathing while completing this stretch.
With the knee drop stretch you don't even have to leave the warmth of your bed to stretch your lower back and hips. It is good to get in the habit of taking two minutes and doing this every morning because sometimes your hips and back are tighter than you realize.  
Lie on your back with your feet flat on the ground or bed and your knees up. Interweave your hands and put them behind your head and use them as a pillow. Drop your knees down to the left and relax them there. Only go as far as it feels comfortable. Imagine your muscles being massaged from the inside out. Hold for five deep breaths as you feel your body melt into the floor or bed. Bring your knees up and drop to the right side. Really breathe into the area you feel tension and let it evaporate. You have no reason to carry any tension in your body.

Continue Learning about Back Exercises

Exercises to Build a Better Back
Exercises to Build a Better Back
Feel an unwelcome twinge in your low back every now and again? You're not alone. Researchers estimate that 8 out of 10 of us will grapple with low bac...
What back exercise can I do to help improve my posture?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Poor posture when not related to issues such as scoliosis is generally a muscular issue that can be ...
How do I perform a ball back extension with rotation?
Lie face down on a stability ball, with the ball placed under your stomach. Straighten our legs, kee...
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?
What Is a Good Workout for My Back?