What is the treatment for a yeast rash in babies?

Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
A yeast diaper rash in babies requires treatment with an antifungal medication like nystatin cream which is applied three times a day. The area should be kept open to air when possible. Diapers should be changed frequently to keep the area clean and dry.
Getting rid of a yeast infection requires a special cream to clear it up. I find that using a prescription ointment containing a combination of 3 ingredients—an antifungal medication to clear up the yeast along with zinc oxide and petroleum jelly to protect the skin and help it heal—works especially well. Alternatively, your pediatrician may advise you to layer an over-the-counter yeast cream with a zinc oxide diaper cream on top with every diaper change. While you are waiting for the rash to go away, soaking in an oatmeal
bath can help soothe your baby’s sore bottom.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

When should I call the doctor to see my newborn?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
One of the toughest and most nerve-racking things for new moms is figuring out when to call the doct...
How should I dress my baby so they are not too hot or too cold?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
The general rule is that babies should wear as many layers as you are wearing. It’s all right to add...
What does it mean if my baby has white spots on his tongue?
If you're breastfeeding you'll want to be on the lookout for white spots that may develop on you...
How can I stop my child's thumb sucking?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
My advice is this: Pick your battles. And only pick the ones you can win. This one, you won’t win. I...