What is the treatment for a yeast rash in babies?

Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
A yeast diaper rash in babies requires treatment with an antifungal medication like nystatin cream which is applied three times a day. The area should be kept open to air when possible. Diapers should be changed frequently to keep the area clean and dry.
Getting rid of a yeast infection requires a special cream to clear it up. I find that using a prescription ointment containing a combination of 3 ingredients—an antifungal medication to clear up the yeast along with zinc oxide and petroleum jelly to protect the skin and help it heal—works especially well. Alternatively, your pediatrician may advise you to layer an over-the-counter yeast cream with a zinc oxide diaper cream on top with every diaper change. While you are waiting for the rash to go away, soaking in an oatmeal
bath can help soothe your baby’s sore bottom.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?
What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?
What's the Best Way to Prevent Having a Picky Eating Toddler?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?
When Can I Start Giving My Baby Water?
How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?
How Often Should I Bathe a Baby?