Why is proper body alignment so important when exercising?

The body and the muscles and joints of the body work best when the body is in a certain alignment whole moving. These ideal positions help the muscles and joints to produce and reduce force in the best manner. The ability to optimally produce and reduce force is what minimizes the risk of injury. The best to ensure proper body alignment is to eliminate any muscle imbalances by identifying them and getting rid of them. Muscular imbalances can be identified using movement assessments like the overhead squat. During movement the bodies joints will move based on what muscles are tight, weak, or not working optimally. Once you identify muscle imbalances, strengthen weakened muscles, lengthen tight ones and this will improve posture and help train good form. If you want to learn how to identify muscle imbalances consult a personal trainer experienced in performing muscle imbalance tests.
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Taking the time to align your body with correct form prevents injury. It also helps you balance your muscle groups for long-term postural benefits.

Continue Learning about Avoiding Pain & Injury During Exercise

Easy Tips to Exercise Safely
Easy Tips to Exercise Safely
Warning! Exercise-safety fears can be hazardous to your health. You may be stuck on the sidelines...
How can I reduce stress in my lower back area?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
To reduce stress you have to look at the cause of that stress. Typically when we are referring to lo...
How can I help prevent knee pain while exercising?
Jaspal R. Singh, MDJaspal R. Singh, MD
Knee pain that results from working out is commonly due to a condition called patellofemoral syndrom...
How Can I Prevent Injuries While Exercising