How common is Asperger's syndrome?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Asperger's syndrome is a condition that was first described in the 1940s. Now that healthcare providers recognize the condition as one of the autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), they estimate that ASDs occur in one in every 59 children. This particular syndrome also shows a prevalence in males. Boys are four times as likely as girls to be affected with Asperger's and other autism spectrum disorders.

Continue Learning about Autism

Should I talk to my doctor about my child's Asperger's syndrome symptoms?
If your child displays symptoms such as poor development and communication skills that are interferi...
Is there a cure for Asperger's syndrome?
At the moment, there is not a cure for Asperger's syndrome. Since the cause is also unknown, researc...
Is autism the same as autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Technically---and clinically---speaking, yes. The term "autism" is shorthand for the clinical term, ...
What Are Some Common Myths About Autism?