Can autism spectrum disorders be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The cause of autism spectrum disorders is not clearly understood, so there is no way, at this time, to prevent these disorders. However, early diagnosis may lead to a more effective treatment plan. Many children who are diagnosed with ASDs can have their symptoms improve remarkably with treatment.

Sarine Salama
Sarine Salama on behalf of MDLIVE
Psychology Specialist

There is no way to prevent autism as there is not one specific cause that is known yet to cause it. Autism is a broad spectrum of disorders and every child exhibits different severity and symptoms. Early treatment is the key treatment that should be started right away.

Continue Learning about Autism

Brain Chemical May Be Linked to Autism
Brain Chemical May Be Linked to Autism
An important brain chemical may not work correctly in people with autism, according to researchers from Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technol...
Can autistic children make eye contact and show affection?
William StillmanWilliam Stillman
Your question is actually two separate questions in one. Let's first address the issue of making eye...
What should I expect when I see a doctor about autism spectrum disorders?
If you see a doctor about your child's autism spectrum disorder symptoms, he or she will want to kno...
Can Nutrition Play a Role in Treating Autism?