When should I see a doctor for arthritis pain?

You should see a doctor for any arthritis pain, primarily because it is important to get an accurate diagnosis as to the cause of the pain. Oftentimes,what is considered arthritis pain is actually pain from another cause that needs to be worked up and treated appropriately.
As we get older, many of us will feel occasional joint pain or discomfort that comes and goes. This does not require treatment. But you should see a doctor if:
  • you experience prolonged joint pain
  • the joint has become swollen
  • the joint looks red, feels hot, or is tender to the touch
  • the joint pain is bothersome and increasing, in spite of attempts at self-care
  • you feel that you are less and less able to move without pain
  • you are running a fever and the pain in the joints is increasing in severity
  • you have morning stiffness in your joint or joints

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Pill-Free Way to Help with Arthritis Symptoms
You may be able to use your own body to help ease arthritis symptoms in your knees and other creaky joints. How? Through regular practice of tai chi....
What parts of the body are targeted by axial spondyloarthritis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, targets mainly the spine and pelvis, causing pain a...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?