What types of arthritis affect the foot?

Dr. James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatrist (Foot Specialist)

There are about 100 types of arthritis, but osteoarthritis and gout are two types that commonly affect the feet. Although any part of the foot can suffer, toes are most frequently affected. One of the most common ailments is hallux rigidus, which involves the loss of flexibility in the big toe due to osteoarthritis in the metatarsophalangeal joint.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Pill-Free Way to Help with Arthritis Symptoms
You may be able to use your own body to help ease arthritis symptoms in your knees and other creaky joints. How? Through regular practice of tai chi....
How does arthritis affect the body?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Arthritis can affect the body in many ways. It strikes your joints, the space between bones, which a...
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Reduce stress and relieve arthritis pain naturally by following this gentle sequence of nine yoga poses.
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?