What mistakes should I avoid when discussing knee arthritis with my doctor?

If you're experiencing pain from osteoarthritis of the knee, knowing how to talk about it with your doctor—and avoiding common pitfalls—is essential to getting the relief you need.

Here are three common mistakes to avoid when talking to your doctor:

1. You forget the bad days when talking about pain—never downplay how bad the pain can get. Knowing the extent of your pain on good AND bad days can help the doctor find the right treatment.
  2. You stretch the truth about exercise—if pain keeps you from staying active, a key component in osteoarthritis knee pain management and overall knee health, be honest and tell your doctor.
  3. You don't count over-the-counter pain pills—they may seem milder, but taking more than the recommended dose can have serious health consequences and is a sign you need a different treatment.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
Yoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain ReliefYoga Poses for Arthritis Pain Relief
If you suffer from arthritis, stretching and flexing on a yoga mat may seem like the last thing you’d want to do. But gentle yoga poses may...
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Is Psoriatic Arthritis?
How Can I Slow the Progression of Arthritis?
What Is the Long-Term Prognosis of Psoriatic Arthritis?