What are the symptoms of axial spondyloarthritis?

The most common symptom for axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, is low back and buttock pain. Axial spa also makes the joints stiff. Pain and stiffness are worse when the person has been inactive for a long time. The pain and stiffness get better with movement and exercise. If the pelvis and spine bones become fused, this makes bending and twisting difficult. Sometimes people with axial spa get psoriasis, which is a scaly red skin rash on the scalp and hands.

Continue Learning about Arthritis

What Are the Treatment Options for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of inflammatory arthritis that primarily affects the joints of the spinal column. Pain and stiffness in the lowe...
What are side effects of medications that treat axial spondyloarthritis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
All medications used to treat axial spondyloarthritis, or axial spa for short, have side effects, wh...
What Else Can I Do to Manage My Psoriatic Arthritis?
What Are the Main Treatments for Psoriatic Arthritis?