How does exercise help prevent arthritis?

Arthritis is an inflammatory condition that affects joints. Two of the most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is caused by degeneration of cartilage within joints. Rheumatoid arthritis is a degenerative joint disease in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own tissue.

The cartilage in joints get nourishment and lubrication through movement and pressure. This is the benefit exercise provides. If you have ever been casted or immobilized you may have noticed extreme stiffness after the removal of the cast. This is because the joint structures become malnourished, dry and unlubricated. Regular exercise prevents arthritis by keeping joint structures nourished and lubricated.  

Research has shown the exercise provided relief from arthritic symptoms and another demonstrated that a 4-week training regimen decreased muscle inhibition and increased muscle strength in patients with moderate muscle inhibition.

Continue Learning about Arthritis Prevention

can vitamin k help prevent arthritis ?
The vitamin K in cabbage, spinach, Swiss chard, and other leafy greens may help keep your hands arth...
can arthritis be prevented ?
Currently, there is no certain way to prevent any form of arthritis. In general, though, a healthy l...
how can exercise help me manage psoriatic arthritis ?
how can i slow the progression of arthritis ?