What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a condition marked by joint inflammation. It typically causes pain, stiffness, fatigue and swelling, and it can affect any joint in the body. There are more than 100 types of arthritis, but the most common are osteoarthritis (OA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and gout. The more you understand about arthritis, the better you can work with your doctor to be treated effectively.
Need Pain Relief?Try Yoga
Try AskMDGet personalized advice for managing chronic pain
The estimated number of Americans with arthritis
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Charles S. Rutherford, MD
Orthopedic Surgery, Hand Surgery
Medical City Hospital
What are the different types of arthritis?
he different types of arthritis are classified into three broad categories. The first type is osteoarthritis, the most common type . . .
- Q How similar are arthritis and osteoarthritis?
- Q What is hindfoot arthritis?
- Q How can I prepare for a doctor's appointment for arthritis in my knee?
- Q Is there more than one kind of arthritis of the knee?
- Q How can hip arthritis be treated without surgery?
- Q How does arthritis affect people with lupus?
- Q What is hip arthritis?
- Q What types of arthritis affect the foot?
- Q What is juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)?
- Q How common is arthritis among Americans?