What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a condition marked by joint inflammation. It typically causes pain, stiffness, fatigue and swelling, and it can affect any joint in the body. There are more than 100 types of arthritis, but the most common are osteoarthritis (OA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and gout. The more you understand about arthritis, the better you can work with your doctor to be treated effectively.
Need Pain Relief?Try Yoga
Try AskMDGet personalized advice for managing chronic pain
The estimated number of Americans with arthritis
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Charles S. Rutherford, MD
Orthopedic Surgery, Hand Surgery
Medical City Hospital
What are the different types of arthritis?
he different types of arthritis are classified into three broad categories. The first type is osteoarthritis, the most common type . . .
- Q What is synovitis?
- Q What is juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)?
- Q How many people in the U.S. suffer from arthritis?
- Q How common is arthritis among Americans?
- Q How does arthritis affect people with lupus?
- Q What is hip arthritis?
- Q What types of arthritis affect the foot?
- Q What should I do if I think I have arthritis?
- Q How can I slow the progression of arthritis?
- Q What is arthritis of the midfoot?