What is an appendectomy?

The appendix is generally removed with minimally invasive surgery when a child has appendicitis.

An appendectomy is a surgery that is performed to remove the appendix.

An appendectomy is a surgery to remove the appendix (small finger-shaped pouch at the end of the first part of the large intestine). The procedure is typically performed after a person has been diagnosed with acute appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix).

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

An appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. It is always related to an acute illness unless performed during another surgical procedure.The symptoms of acute appendicitis are usually abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, low grade fever and marked tenderness in the right lower potion of your abdomen.

An appendectomy is a surgical procedure in which the appendix is removed. Doctors do appendectomies all the time. It’s like the "riding a bike" of surgeries.

Continue Learning about Appendectomy

When should I call the doctor after my child's appendectomy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After your child's appendectomy, call your doctor if:Your child has a fever above 101 degrees F th...
How is an appendectomy performed in children?
The only effective treatment for appendicitis is an operation to remove the appendix, called an ap...
When should my child go for a follow-up exam after an appendectomy?
Your surgeon will schedule a follow-up exam, usually one to three weeks after your child's appende...
How long does it take to recover from an appendectomy?
Richard A. Kline, MDRichard A. Kline, MD
Recovery from an appendectomy usually doesn't take long compared to other abdominal surgeries, says ...