Who should take an anticoagulant?

People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), or an irregular heart beat (Afib for example).

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a TIA (transient ischemic attack), and a history of a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). The target INR is 2 to 3. (INR is a measure of the blood's tendency to clot. Dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and apixaban are newer oral anticoagulants that do not require monitoring of INR. They are as effective as warfarin and have fewer drug and food interactions. However, they have adverse effects that may limit compliance and are more expensive, and there are no drugs that can reverse their effects.)

Warfarin is also recommended after a heart attack that has severely damaged the front portion of heart (large anterior infarction). It is also advised for people with a blood clot in the left ventricle. Treatment is continued for at least 3 months, with a target INR of 2 to 3.

People with atrial fibrillation are treated with an anticoagulant whether or not sinus rhythm is achieved. There is a high rate of silent recurrence of atrial fibrillation, and it increases the risk of blood clots. If the anticoagulant is warfarin, the INR should be maintained between 2 and 3.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...