Who should take an anticoagulant?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a TIA (transient ischemic attack), and a history of a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). The target INR is 2 to 3. (INR is a measure of the blood's tendency to clot. Dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and apixaban are newer oral anticoagulants that do not require monitoring of INR. They are as effective as warfarin and have fewer drug and food interactions. However, they have adverse effects that may limit compliance and are more expensive, and there are no drugs that can reverse their effects.)

Warfarin is also recommended after a heart attack that has severely damaged the front portion of heart (large anterior infarction). It is also advised for people with a blood clot in the left ventricle. Treatment is continued for at least 3 months, with a target INR of 2 to 3.

People with atrial fibrillation are treated with an anticoagulant whether or not sinus rhythm is achieved. There is a high rate of silent recurrence of atrial fibrillation, and it increases the risk of blood clots. If the anticoagulant is warfarin, the INR should be maintained between 2 and 3.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), or an irregular heart beat (Afib for example).

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...