How will my anesthesiologist know how much anesthesia to give me?

There is no single or right amount of anesthesia for all patients. Every anesthetic must be tailored to the individual, and to the operation or procedure that the person is having. Individuals have different responses to anesthesia. Some of these differences are genetic, or inborn, and some differences are due to changes in health or illness. The amount of anesthesia needed can differ according to such things as: age, weight, gender, medications being taken, or specific illnesses (such as heart or brain conditions).

Among the things the anesthesiologist measures or observes, and uses to guide the type and amount of anesthetic given are: heart rate and rhythm, blood pressure, breathing rate or pattern, oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, and exhaled anesthetic concentration. Because every patient is unique, the anesthesiologist must carefully adjust anesthetic levels for each individual patient.

Continue Learning about Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What is the difference between an anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
An anesthesiologist is an M.D. Following graduation from college and medical school, he has taken at...
What kind of anesthesia will I get for thyroid surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Most thyroid operations are performed under general anesthesia, which means you will be totally asle...
Can a person's heart stop beating with general anesthesia?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
This is possible, though very rare. When practicing, physician anesthesiologists always have your sa...
What is informed consent for general anesthesia?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The informed consent for general anesthesia is vital for safeguarding the patient, surgeon, anesthes...