What kinds of bacteria cause pimples?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The bacteria that cause pimples are called Propionibacterium acnes, or P. acnes for short. These bacteria live on your skin all the time. They become a problem only when a pore becomes blocked. This happens when excess oil or sebum mixes with dead skin cells to form a "plug." The bacteria build up in the oil inside the blocked pore. The body responds by sending cells to kill the bacteria, causing the pore and surrounding skin to swell and creating the little red bumps with white centers known as pimples.

Continue Learning about Acne

6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout. Weighed down with acne woes? You’re not alone. A whopping 40 to 50 million ...
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
How Does Salicylic Acid Treat Acne?
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?
Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?