How can I avoid acne breakouts from using sunscreen?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
It's a myth that sunscreens cause acne. For people who feel that they breakout after using sunscreens, it may be that they are having an irritant reaction to the sunscreen or the sun, which can look like acne. These types of rashes can have the red bumps that look just like acne but don’t typically improve with acne medications.

The best treatment is to avoid the irritant, whether it is the sun or the products with which you have reacted. If the rash persists, allergy testing can be done; this sometimes helps to identify the offending agent. This is done by using patch testing of common offending agents to the skin. Sometimes specific tests can be done if a particular agent is thought to be the culprit.

Finally, it may be that the vehicle of the sunscreen preparation, not the active ingredient of the sunscreen itself, may be too greasy or occlusive, and therefore, a different choice of sunscreen should be made. If you are using a cream, switch to a lotion. If you are using a lotion, try a gel. Sunscreens are also available in oil-free preparations for those with especially oily or acne-prone skin.

For my younger patients with oilier skin, I usually recommend a sunscreen in a gel formulation. I find that the gel dries more quickly and does not run into the eyes in those who are more physically active and may be sweating more. I also find that gels, because they are more drying, are less likely to be a problem for those with acne.

There are wonderful SPF-tinted moisturizers that help to conceal the acne while protecting from the sun. Products are available that combine acne treatments with sun protection, which can also be useful. Many new combination sunscreen/treatments are available in nearly every type of vehicle, and thus, there most likely is something for everyone.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

why should people with acne avoid touching their face ?
Acne is primarily caused by bacteria on the face, and if you touch your face often it can cause ...
how can i prevent acne ?
With a little know-how, you can minimize or potentially eliminate occasional adult acne outbreaks on...
how can i prevent acne and acne scars ?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
You can help prevent acne flare-ups and scars by taking good care of your skin:Clean your skin gentl...
if i have acne , what kind of cosmetics should i use ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In recommending cosmetics to my acne-prone patients I try to give them guidelines from which they ca...