What is the purpose of working my core?

The core is essentially your hips, glutes, abdominals and low back. Training the core is important because it is where the body's center of gravity is located and where all movement begins. This means that core training serves the important role of providing the body with a stable foundation to work from. Working the upper and lower extremities (arms and legs) while neglecting adequate attention to the core is similar to trying to build a structurally sounds house without having laid a concrete foundation first. If you do not participate in core training, forces throughout the body are not transferred correctly, thereby decreasing movement efficiency (less strength and less power) and also positioning yourself to predictable patterns of injury.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

Exercises to Keep Up Core Strength
Exercises to Keep Up Core Strength
The 1979 film The China Syndrome, reporters (Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas) discover the cover-up of a potential nuclear plant disaster—or China synd...
How do I perform a ball bridge?
Begin by lying face up on a ball. Place the ball directly between your shoulder blades, allowing...
What exercise can stengthen my core and tone my butt and thighs?
Want to challenge your core muscles from every angle while toning your thighs and boosting your be...
How Can I Get Defined Ab Muscles?
How Can I Get Defined Ab Muscles?