The glutes are a very important part of your "core". The three "butt" muscles are gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and the gluteus minimus. It is important to address all three of these muscles to get optimal "butt-shaping". Some great glute exercises include:
1. Bridges- can be done on the floor or on a stability ball. Gradually add weight for more resistance or do one leg at a time.
2. Side lying leg abductions (lifts): can be done lying flat on your side or kneeling along side a stability ball. Can progress to tube walking.
3. Squats- make sure you emphasize the hip extension at the end of the range. You can progress to single leg squats.
4. Lunges- start with stationary lunges (stay in one place and lower your body up and down) and progress to walking, side, or reverse lunges.
5. Step-ups- use a step or small bench, place right foot on top and press through the right heel and butt as you lift up to a balance positon. Hold and focus on squeezing the right glute as you balance on the step. After desired amount of reps, repeat on other leg.
*Remember- In order to get your "butt" to fire (work) correctly, you need to stretch your quadriceps and hip flexors!! Tight quads and hip flexors will prevent you glutes from working effectively!!!!!!
More Answers from Jenny Shepherd - NASM Elite Trainer, NASM Elite Trainer