Question

Stress

How does stress affect my body?

• AHolly Lucille, ND,RN, Health Education, answered
    Dr. Holly Lucille - How does stress affect my body?

Stress is more than just a mood buster. In this video, naturopathic doctor Holly Lucille lists the many surprising ways that stress can impact your body in this video.

• AAila Accad, Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
    Stress triggers responses in the body -- blood pressure-raising, heart-racing, head-aching, muscle-tensing, stomach-churning kinds of responses. When these responses continue for long periods without relief, they eventually become chronic conditions, illness and disease. Stanford Medical School and the World Health Organization agree that stress causes 85-95% of all illness and disease.
  • ATasneem Bhatia, MD, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Dr. Tasneem Bhatia - How does stress affect my body?

Stress can take a toll on your entire body, says integrative medicine specialist Dr. Tasneem Bhatia. To learn about the various ways that stress can affect your body, watch this video.

• AKathleen Hall, Preventive Medicine, answered
    When we are stressed, we release excitatory neurotransmitters. Your body responds to these hormones by increasing your heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. More blood is pumped into your muscles, sending more oxygen to your muscles, brain, heart and lungs. Blood flow may increase 300 percent to 400 percent, preparing your lungs, muscles, and brain for added demands. The amount of sugar of glucose increases in your blood, which accelerates your metabolism so you can take immediate action in an emergency. Your blood thickens as platelets prepare to stop bleeding quickly. As the blood thickens, oxygen increases in red cells and promotes better function of the white cells that prevent infections. The spleen discharges red and white blood cells, allowing the blood to transport more oxygen.
Can stress increase a person's risk of developing cancer?