Smoking Cessation 101
In order to quit smoking successfully, you'll need a plan to overcome nicotine withdrawal. Educate yourself on the common challenges of quitting and find inspiration to help you succeed.Take Our Quit Smoking Quiz
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressView the slideshow
AskMDGet personalized advice on how to quit smoking
Number of years that quitting smoking adds to a woman's life
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Smoking Cessation Q&As
Ivan Hernandez, MD
Bayview Center for Mental Health, Inc.
Can counseling help me quit smoking?
Counseling, which can be in person, online, or via telephone, is helpful. Many studies have shown that patients who engage in therapy have more attempts at quitting and are more likely to have success in smoking cessation. If you have underlying...
- Q How can I quit smoking?
- Q What is an effective plan to quit smoking?
- Q Why should I quit smoking?
- Q Is it ever too late to quit smoking?
- Q What are the immediate benefits of quitting smoking?
- Q What is the first thing I should do if I want to quit smoking?
- Q How does smoking affect a woman's risk of cancer?
- Q How do I choose a stop-smoking treatment?
- Q How is smoking related to Buerger's disease?
- Q Do graphic stop-smoking commercials work?
Quit Smoking Action Plans
If you’re ready to get back the years smoking steals from your life, take control with our Action Plans.
Talk to Your Doc about Quitting Find a Quit-Smoking Buddy Use Nicotine Replacement Tools Start Walking to Quit Smoking Learn More: See All Quit Smoking Articles
Quit Smoking VideosSee more quit smoking videos
Hidden Chemicals in Cigarettes
Nicotine isn’t the only dangerous ingredient found in cigarettes. Find out what other harmful toxins are packed into these addictive sticks.
The Best Way to Quit
There are as many different success stories about smoking cessation as there are smokers. The right way is whatever works for you.