Question

Ovarian Cancer

Does using birth control reduce my risk of ovarian cancer?

• ARobin Miller, MD, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Dr. Robin Miller - Birth control pills and the risk of ovarian cancer
    Wondering if your birth control pills help reduce your risk of ovarian cancer?

Watch my video to learn more about how birth control affects your risk of ovarian cancer.

• ABarbara Goff, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Dr. Barbara Goff - Does using birth control reduce my risk of ovarian cancer?

Watch as gynecologic oncologist Dr. Barbara Goff explains whether or not using birth control will reduce the risk of ovarian cancer.

• ADonnica Moore, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered
    Dr. Donnica Moore - Does using birth control reduce my risk of ovarian cancer?

Watch as women's health expert and advocate Dr. Donnica Moore explains how using birth control pills may reduce the risk of developing ovarian cancer.

• ACharla Simon, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem

Women who are on the birth control pill have a lower than average risk of ovarian cancer, and this protection from the disease appears to last for at least 5-10 years after discontiuing the pill. 

The greatest decrease in risk is seen in women who used the birth control pill for 5 or more years.

• ALarry E. Puls, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered on behalf of Greenville Health System

The short answer is yes. One of the theories about ovarian cancer (and it is JUST theoretical), is the principle of incessant ovulation: the more times a woman ovulates (i.e., has a normal menstrual cycle) in her life, the higher her risk of ovarian cancer. If a woman uses birth control pills for five years, she lowers her risk of ovarian cancer by 40-50 percent.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

• APatricia Geraghty, NP, Advanced Practice Nursing, answered
    Birth Control pills and other hormonal contraception such as the vaginal ring absolutely reduce the risk of ovarian cancer. The numbers vary among the different studies, but three to five years of hormonal contraception use reduces the risk of ovarian cancerby 50-80%.  This protection seems to last for many years even after the pills or ring are discontinued.
What are the risks of ovarian cancer in women after menopause?