Question

Leg Exercises

How can I strengthen my legs?

• ARealAge answered

Holding weights, stand with your feet more than shoulder-width apart, toes pointed to sides. Keeping your arms straight but relaxed, then bring hands together (palms facing each other) and squat as far as you can. Be sure your knees stay over your ankles, not your toes. Stop when your thighs are parallel to the ground. Lift your body back up, keeping your core tight and knees slightly bent. Be sure not to lean forward. Work up to 25 reps.

Take the RealAge Test!

• AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

You are able to strengthen your legs by completing a variety of items. Here is a quick list. Contact me if you would like further description and detail!

• Walk
    • Jog/Run
    • Bike
    • Swim
    • Perform some of the following:

o   Squats

o   Lunges

o   Lateral Lunges

o   Bridges

Options are endless and much can be completed depending on your fitness level.

• ABill Salt, MD, Gastroenterology, answered
    As you age, weakness of your legs, particularly your thighs, increases your chance of falling. Here’s how to strengthen them.

Squats
    Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and with your hands by your side. Keeping your back straight, squat down to the point where your thighs are approximately parallel to the floor (or before, if you have pain in your knees or lower back).You can have a  chair under your bottom for security if you prefer. Pause, and then rise to the original standing position. Keep your gaze forward. Breathe in on the way down and breathe out on the way up. When twelve repetitions become easy, you can add resistance by holding dumbbells or other weighted objects at your sides.

Lunges
    Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands on your hips. Step forward with one of your feet, bending at the knee so that the thigh is parallel to the floor (or before, if you have pain in your knees or lover back). Make sure that your knee does not extend farther than your foot. Pause, then step back into the original standing position. Repeat with the other foot. Breathe in when you lunge forward and breathe out when you step back. When twelve repetitions become easy, you can add resistance by holding dumbbells or other weighted objects at your sides.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How should I exercise the front of the thigh?