Click below to see chef Michel Nischan stir up this gourmet soup.
Slow Cook French Onion Soup
42 oz low sodium beef broth
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese, or Swiss
4 pieces sliced whole wheat bread (or any whole grain) (optional)
1 grapeseed oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut four slices of whole wheat bread into cubes.
3. Place bread cubes in a 15" x 10" x 1" baking pan.
4. Lightly coat cubes with cooking spray.
5. Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is dry and crisp, tossing once or twice.
1. In 3-1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine beef broth, onions, garlic, and pepper.
2. Cover and cook over low heat for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Add croutons, if desired, and top with grated cheese.
5. Place bowls on baking sheet and position under broiler until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
Make a double batch of soup and croutons. Freeze separately for use later.
Note: Optional items are not included in nutritional facts.
Makes 6 servings
Total Carbs 14.8 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 9 g
Total Fat 4.3 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Unsaturated Fat 2.6 g
Potassium 367.9 mg
Protein 7.7 g
Sodium 95.2 mg