Autism: What You Need to Know
First, what autism isn’t: It’s not necessarily an intelligence problem. Some children with autism or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) have intellectual disabilities, but others have normal or above-average intelligence. What children with autism or ASD share is trouble with social interaction and communication. Symptoms of autism usually become evident during toddlerhood.More on autism
How Much Do You Know
Autism NewsAutism may begin during the second trimester of pregnancy
1 in 42
The odds a boy in the US has an autism spectrum disorder
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Dan Marino Foundation
What tests are commonly used to diagnose autism?
No test can confirm autism outright, however, doctors may use various medical tests and procedures to help with autism diagnosis. There is not always a clinical need to do medical tests. Your doctor(s) can recommend . . .
- Q What disorders are sometimes misdiagnosed as autism in children?
- Q What is the difference between autism and Asperger's syndrome?
- Q Who should I see to have my child evaluated for autism?
- Q How early can autism be detected?
- Q Did I cause my child’s autism?
- Q Can autism spectrum disorders be prevented?
- Q Is autism a degenerative developmental disability?
- Q Does autism occur with other health problems?
- Q Why are autism diagnoses on the rise?
- Q What treatments are recommended for autism?
Autism Action Plans
If your child is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, use these Action Plans as a guide.
What to Ask Autism Specialists How to Talk About Signs of Autism How to Help Siblings Cope Learn About Autism Facts vs. Fiction Can Autism Be Prevented?
Helping Your Child Learn to Wait
Children with autism need to understand the concept of waiting. Learn how autism expert Chantal Sicile-Kira taught her son this skill.
How to Help a Picky Eater
Kids with autism spectrum disorders often are easily bothered by food textures and colors. Here are some ways to broaden the menu.