What should men know about the Zika virus?

In contrast to other mosquito-borne diseases, Zika can actually act as a sexually transmitted pathogen. Men could carry the Zika virus in their semen even without ever showing symptoms of the infection. And, worst case scenario, a man could have the infection for months without realizing it and sexually transmit it to a pregnant woman who’s never even left the country. This could cause the fetus to develop microcephaly.

All people—men included—should know that when travelling in areas endemic to the Zika virus, they should use mosquito repellent and wear long sleeves and long pants. If you are diagnosed with Zika, you should treat your fever with acetaminophen or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), rest, drink plenty of fluids and follow up with your primary care provider. If you or your partner travel to Zika-endemic areas, use condoms for six months to prevent transmission and having a baby that is born with severe defects.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
How strong is the link between Zika and microcephaly?
The link between the Zika virus and a birth defect called microcephaly (small head) is based on case...
Should I cancel travel plans due to the Zika virus if I’m pregnant?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
It’s unclear if women who are in the early stages of pregnancy should change their travel plans beca...
What Are the Risks of Getting Infected with Zika If I'm Pregnant?