Should I delay my pregnancy because of the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
You do not have to delay your pregnancy because of the Zika virus if you live in the United States. El Salvador has warned that women should wait two years before trying get pregnant. But that advice only applies to women in the countries where Zika is spreading.

If you’re in the United States, it’s okay to move forward with your babymaking plans. But you still need to be careful. Don’t go on a trip to places where Zika is spreading and try to get pregnant while you’re there. Wait to get pregnant for a few months afterward, just to be safe.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the virus might stay in your body only for about a week. There’s currently no evidence to show that being infected by the Zika virus puts future pregnancies at risk.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What should men know about the Zika virus?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
In contrast to other mosquito-borne diseases, Zika can actually act as a sexually transmitted pathog...
What are my chances of getting Zika?
Your chance, or risk, of getting Zika depends on where you live or travel. The Zika virus has been s...
What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika