Should I delay my pregnancy because of the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
You do not have to delay your pregnancy because of the Zika virus if you live in the United States. El Salvador has warned that women should wait two years before trying get pregnant. But that advice only applies to women in the countries where Zika is spreading.

If you’re in the United States, it’s okay to move forward with your babymaking plans. But you still need to be careful. Don’t go on a trip to places where Zika is spreading and try to get pregnant while you’re there. Wait to get pregnant for a few months afterward, just to be safe.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the virus might stay in your body only for about a week. There’s currently no evidence to show that being infected by the Zika virus puts future pregnancies at risk.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MDDr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in ...
Can the Zika virus pass through breast milk?
There is currently no research to show that the Zika virus can spread through breast milk.
Pregnant With the Zika Virus
Pregnant With the Zika Virus