Should I delay my pregnancy because of the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
You do not have to delay your pregnancy because of the Zika virus if you live in the United States. El Salvador has warned that women should wait two years before trying get pregnant. But that advice only applies to women in the countries where Zika is spreading.

If you’re in the United States, it’s okay to move forward with your babymaking plans. But you still need to be careful. Don’t go on a trip to places where Zika is spreading and try to get pregnant while you’re there. Wait to get pregnant for a few months afterward, just to be safe.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the virus might stay in your body only for about a week. There’s currently no evidence to show that being infected by the Zika virus puts future pregnancies at risk.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika virus is a tropical disease that is spread by Aedes species of mosquitoes. Until 2015, the virus was limited to small outbreaks in regions of Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Mosquitoes can pick up the virus by biting an ...

n infected person, and then transmit it to someone else they bite later. The virus doesn’t generally spread from person to person directly, though sexual transmission is possible.