How long does Zika stay in semen?

We do not know yet how long the Zika virus remains in semen. If you’re a man who has traveled to a country where Zika is present and your partner is pregnant, or is trying to get pregnant, you need to either abstain from sex or wear condoms—regardless of whether you have symptoms of the virus.

The Zika virus can remain in semen for months after a man becomes infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that men abstain from sex, practice safe sex using condoms, and/or wait to attempt conception with their partner for at least 6 months after returning from an area where they may have been exposed to Zika. Men should do this even if they haven't had any symptoms of Zika infection. 

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What should men know about the Zika virus?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
In contrast to other mosquito-borne diseases, Zika can actually act as a sexually transmitted pathog...
What is Zika virus?
Zika is a virus that is primarily spread by mosquitoes. It’s similar to West Nile virus and yellow f...
What Should I Know About the Zika Virus?