How long does Zika stay in semen?

We do not know yet how long the Zika virus remains in semen. If you’re a man who has traveled to a country where Zika is present and your partner is pregnant, or is trying to get pregnant, you need to either abstain from sex or wear condoms—regardless of whether you have symptoms of the virus.

The Zika virus can remain in semen for months after a man becomes infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that men abstain from sex, practice safe sex using condoms, and/or wait to attempt conception with their partner for at least 6 months after returning from an area where they may have been exposed to Zika. Men should do this even if they haven't had any symptoms of Zika infection. 

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
Lourdes Health SystemLourdes Health System
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or ho...
The Link Between Mental Illness and Zika