How long does Zika stay in semen?

We do not know yet how long the Zika virus remains in semen. If you’re a man who has traveled to a country where Zika is present and your partner is pregnant, or is trying to get pregnant, you need to either abstain from sex or wear condoms—regardless of whether you have symptoms of the virus.

The Zika virus can remain in semen for months after a man becomes infected. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that men abstain from sex, practice safe sex using condoms, and/or wait to attempt conception with their partner for at least 6 months after returning from an area where they may have been exposed to Zika. Men should do this even if they haven't had any symptoms of Zika infection. 

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to ar...
Can Zika virus be fatal?
Doctors have attributed some deaths to complications of Zika virus. First, however, know that infect...
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection